The FIEDLER Magnetic Bow Clamp - Easy storage of your bow -
The unique patent-pending technology is based on a four-magnet closure mechanism. The clamp pops open after the lever is turned and the North and South poles on both halves oppose each other; it closes automatically when the magnetic poles re-align by themselves.
The magnetic Fiedler bow clamp offers:
- efﬁcient closing with a reassuring “click”
- safe storage of your bow, held by high quality, durable an chemicaly neutral foam
The Magnetic Bow Clamp
- can be opened or closed effortlessy with one ﬁnger
- can be retroﬁtted to most cello cases
- uses durable ﬁbre-reinforced plastic and Neodymium magnets, thus being free from wear
>> Have you ever gotten annoyed while packing up your bow in your cello case, especially when having only one hand free? Have you then used your knees or set your cello back on the ground? How often have you found your bow loose after the transport with a conventional snap fastener and how often has it then damaged your cello? <<
The magnetic bow clamp allows you to store and retrieve your bow easily with one hand, without first putting your cello on the ground or fixing the case lid with your knees.
The magnetic Fiedler bow clamp ﬁts in almost all cello cases made from ﬁbreglass, carbon ﬁbre or plywood. It is attached with one special screw onto the case shell.
The best position for the magnetic bow clamp is in the case lid opposite the cello scroll. The bow will be placed in secure distance to the fingerboard. In extra large cases, such as Accord Montagnana, two bow clamps can be mounted next to each other. For other positions, carefully check the clearance between the bow clamp and the instrument and make sure that the cello is being held firmly in the case and can't move during transport.
The assembly kit contains the bow clamp, special screws of various lengths, two self adhesive foam pads and a hand sewn leather bow tip pouch.
You need a 3,2 mm drill bit, a screwdriver and a hot glue gun. Use hot glue to securely glue one foam pad ontop of the bow clamp lever, and the other right behind the frog of the stored bow.
Mounting the bow clamp
- The Fiedler bow clamp is designed to be attached with one screw. Three holes are visible on the back of the bow clamp. The one in the central position is to be used.
- Drill a 3,2mm hole in the case shell. Drill carefully, if the case has a fabric lining.
- Use the shortest possible of the supplied screws to attach the bow clamp.
- Tighten the screw carefully. The bow clamp should not bend. If it bends, the magnets won’t align properly, resulting in a weaker adhesive force.
- Hint: If the case shell is curved and there is no foam lining inside the case, there will be some clearance between the middle of the bow clamp and the shell. A washer or a piece of wood/plastic can be used to level out the curve of the shell.
Mounting the bow tip pouch
- The leather bow tip pouch is glued into the case with hot melt glue.
- For ACCORD cases: Use the leather pouch as a template and cut out the foam lining with a sharp cutter knife. Clean the carbon shell from all glue residues (use Acetone/nail varnish remover), then glue the leather pouch right on the shell into the cutout.
- For cases with a textile lining (e.g. Musilia): Make sure to use enough hot melt glue and work quickly, in order to make sure the glue will soak the lining and stick also to the shell. Glueing the pouch right on the carbon shell is always recommended.